Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Washing your hair with a bar of soap?

I've heard so much about shampoo bars lately that I just *had* to try it! Being a soap maker I probably should have tried this years ago but I just couldn't get used to the idea of using a bar of soap on my head. I've been so brainwashed that shampoo with lots of lather is what my hair needs and I was SO wrong!

Instead of whipping up a new formula, I decided to go ahead and use one of the bar soaps that I already have made. I went with the Yuzu. It's a nice basic bar that is perfect for hair. (I didn't want to be washing out bits of oatmeal or poppy seeds!)

Most shampoo bar instructions say to lather the bar in your hands and rub that lather into your hair. This is why I couldn't get used to a shampoo bar. They don't produce near as much lather as commercial shampoo. Now here's what I figured out that makes it a lot easier: Rub the soap directly onto your hair! You'll be amazed at how much lather this produces! It's kind of like rubbing the soap onto a mesh sponge. It makes WAY more lather than rubbing it onto your hands!

Now that I had all that lather I knew my hair had to be clean. After rinsing, it felt different than if I had washed with shampoo. Not bad, just different. I still used conditioner and hair product as always. (my new favorite hair product is Creme Brulee by beijaflores. I have naturally curly, frizzy hair and this works wonders) After my hair dried I could definitely tell a difference. It felt much softer than normal. I love it!

I think I'm hooked now and I'm going to have to start formulating some recipes for "real" shampoo bars. That commercial shampoo is outta here!

No comments: